If the Situation is Threatening to Life or Limb, Emergency Medical Care Should Be Sought Immediately

  • Call 911 for emergency medical attention.
  • If poisoning is suspected, contact the Poison Control Center at (800) 222-1222.


Staff and Faculty Work Related Injuries and Illnesses


Immediately contact EH&S at (805) 893-3194 if an employee is expected to be hospitalized for 24 hours or longer, or has an injury that results in a loss of limb (amputation) or loss of life. These incidents must be reported to OSHA within 8 hours of the event.


Student Injuries and Illnesses

  • If immediate medical assistance is required, call 911. There is no charge for the paramedics to evaluate a victim. If transport is required to the emergency room, standard charges apply.
  • Undergraduate and Graduate Students can be treated at Student Health Services. Call (805) 893-3371 for more information.

medical emergency


  • Immediately wash area(s) with soap and water and use an emergency eyewash or shower for 15 minutes.
  • If medical assistance is required, follow the Medical Emergency guidance described above.
  • Report the exposure to your supervisor.
  • Inform your health care provider of the biological material(s) involved in the exposure.