Shelter-in-place means to seek immediate shelter inside a building. This action may be taken during a release of hazardous materials to the outside air, a tsunami or other emergency. For shelter-in-place due to violence in progress, see the tab “Crime in Progress” or “Active Shooter.”
If you are ever advised to shelter-in-place:
- Isolate yourself as much as possible from the external environment.
- Shut all doors and windows.
- Seal cracks around doors and windows as best as possible (e.g., with
- Notify Police of your status at 911 (or 9-911 from a campus phone).
- Monitor all available communications.