During emergencies when an elevator is not available for use, the following procedures have been developed to handle situations in multistory buildings for those unable to use the stairs:
- When the fire alarm is activated, designated personnel should assist/escort individuals with mobility disabilities to a safe location (enclosed stairwell landing that leads to an exterior exit at the ground level).
- Someone should remain with the individual while another person notifies arriving emergency personnel of the location of anyone who needs assistance.
- The instructions of the emergency responder should be followed, and no attempt should be made to move the individual to another building level unless there is imminent danger in the safe refuge, e.g., there is heavy smoke in the stairwell.
- Individuals unable to utilize the stairs and working alone should call 911 (or 9-911 from a campus phone) and report the location of their planned refuge (stairwell landing).
- Anyone unable to reach a stairwell (for instance due to smoke), should close all doors into their area, call 911 (or 9-911 from a campus phone) and wait for emergency personnel to arrive.