Bomb threats usually come by telephone and generally are made by individuals who want to create an atmosphere of general anxiety or panic. All bomb threats should be taken seriously.
- Take the caller seriously, but remain calm.
- Ask a lot of questions. Use the checklist below as a guide.
- Take notes on everything said and on your observations about background noise, voice characteristics, etc.
- If possible, get someone to call Police while you continue talking to the caller.
- Call Police at 911 (or 9-911 from a campus phone) immediately after the call.
- Notify your supervisor/department head.
- Campus Police will determine if evacuation is necessary. If you do evacuate, move to your building Emergency Assembly Point.
- Do not re-enter the area until instructed to do so.