Call EH&S at 893.3194 (24 hr phone line) for assistance. If medical attention is required also call 911 (9-911 from campus phone).
- State that assistance is needed from EH&S Radiation Safety related to a radiation emergency.
- State your name, phone number, location of the radiation emergency and the nature of the emergency (personnel contamination, area contamination, etc.).
If a person has been contaminated with radioactive material:
- Immediately remove all contaminated items of clothing. Place contaminated items in a bag.
- Wash contaminated skin with cold water and a mild soap.
Containing the Spill/Room Evacuation*
- Notify people in the immediate area that a spill has occurred.
- Confine/isolate the spill with absorbent paper or another suitable material.
- If deemed appropriate, or if directed by EH&S, evacuate all people from the immediate area of the spill to a nearby location where they can be surveyed for contamination.
- Close all doors to the contaminated room and post signs indicating the hazardous condition.
- Limit the movement of contaminated people to reduce the spread of contamination.
* Decontamination of personnel and areas must be performed by people who are properly trained and who are wearing appropriate protective clothing. This includes disposable gloves, a lab coat, long pants and fully enclosed shoes (e.g., no shorts or sandals). Persons performing decontamination need to have radiation-monitoring equipment appropriate for the radiation emitted by the radionuclide involved in the spill.