If you are exposed to blood or other potentially infectious materials:
- Immediately wash area(s) with soap and water and use an emergency eyewash or shower for 15 minutes.
- Seek medical treatment.
- Healthcare providers treating accidental exposures must be informed of any biological materials that may be involved in the exposure.
- Report any unexpected acute illness to the institution.
- The hepatitis B vaccination series could begin right away to any susceptible, unvaccinated person preferably within 24 hours and no later than 7 days.
- Consider preserving a sample of the inoculum for later source testing for bloodborne pathogens.
- Notify your supervisor.
- Notify EH&S at 893.3194 (24 hr phone line).
- Document the incident by filling out an Incident Report Form located at